Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Lincoln_vehicle_mechanic

Having starter issues, first of all the customer put a

Customer Question

Having starter issues, first of all the customer put a ignition key and lock in it and still no start so we towed it to shop. test starter and replaced and we had no voltage from ignition to starter so we replaced the neutral ignition switch on the tranny. Still not start so we checked voltage to that switch and had 12 volts when key is on but nothing when starter wire. So I jumped those 2 wires and it started. any ideals. Thanks Eddie
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

What year, make, model, engine is this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
this is a 1993 Linc. Towncar 4.6 engine
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

One more thing, is this the cartier, signature or executive?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

So you have 12 volts on the white/pink wire going into the transmission position sensor but none coming out on the red/light blue, with the key on start and vehicle in park or neutral?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
that is true it is a executive series. I am going to check that voltage again to be sure..
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

I looked up the wiring diagram for the cartier but normally they are all the same anyhow. This should be a aod-e transmission and if so there is no adjustment on that neutral or range sensor, so if you have voltage in but not out, I would assume the sensor is bad. try holding the key on start while moving the shifter from park to low and back and forth a few times, if at any spot the starter engages, then let me know, if not, take that sensor back and get another.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When the key is on the red/yellow comes hot
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

I don't see a red/yellow, maybe that's for the backup light or something but if the white/pink wire isn't hot with the key on start then the problem isn't the neutral sensor as of yet. It's before that and could be a fuse, relay or ignition switch. Does this have anti-theft?

here is the wiring diagram,

If it has anti-theft, it might be the relay both either with or without anti-theft, make sure that fuse P in the engine compartment fuse block isn't blown and has power to it all the time, even with the key off.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Just as I assumed, that red/yellow wire is for the exterior lights, specifically the backup lamps.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

JustAnswer® is not a free service. I work hard to make sure you're satisfied with my service and I only get credit for my answers based on your rating. Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.