Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

I just took my 2007 Lincoln MKZ to the dealer. It had the

Customer Question

I just took my 2007 Lincoln MKZ to the dealer. It had the orange engine symbol on the dash light "ON" . it seamed to be running OK. They said it is the ECM that isn"t sending a signal To #1. they told me it will cost $1000 for it to be replaced? How do they know its the ECM & not a coil pck for the #1 cyl ?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you tested the dashboard light bulbs?
Customer: No I haven"t its at the dealers shop
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just want to know how to determine if its the ECM or a coilpack or inter wire problem/
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Like I said it wasn't running rough yesterday when I drove the car and the light was "ON" allready
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lincoln Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

You can check the signal to the coil with a scope or a meter that can read in hz. The ecm sends a wave form signal to the coil telling it to fire. You could swap the number one coil with number 2 and see if the misfire follows. If the ecm is not sending the signal then it will need to be replaced.

If you need more help, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please rate at the top of the screen. We can continue to work on your question, rating does not close out your question. Remember, in some cases it can be difficult to completely diagnose or help repair your vehicle without being there, but I try to give you the best possible answer with the information that I have. Thanks Dan

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means it’s no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears you’re not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. Please use the 5 star rating system at the top of the screen, it would be appreciated. If you feel the need to rate less than 3 stars, please let me know why and what I can do to help you more. I do not get compensated for my time unless you rate me.

Thanks Dan