Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have a misfire code cylinder 2. I have changed plugs and

Customer Question

I have a misfire code cylinder 2. I have changed plugs and coils but it didn't help. It's weird because the misfire got worse after I changed the plugs and coils. I didn't notice any color from antifreeze of oil on any plug or boot. I checked the connectors on both the coil and injector and all seems ok.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** coil didn't help then that would mean injector or engine mechanical problem. You can start by doing a compression test to verify it is about the same as cylinder next to it, if so replace the injector. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't know how to test compression
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

You will need to use a compression tester which most parts stores will barrow out for free. Then compression tester screws into spark plug hole. Then start engine for about 3 seconds to see what compression goes up to and compare to cylinder next to it. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If it is low compression what would that mean?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also what are your thoughts on a bad throttle body?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Then that would point toward a valve problem. I think it is more likely a injector but compression test is a lot easier then replacing injector which is why I recommend starting with that. Throttle body wouldn't cause just 1 cylinder to misfire. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Replacing injectors is pretty easy on that isn't it? I mean easier than the plugs that break off. Most I have spike to feel like the injectors never go bad on that engine but I think I should replace the #2 injector before I do a compression test. Are all injectors ok? I typically only use OEM parts but I heard an injector is an injector.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Replacing injectors isn't bad so you can start wherever you want. Injectors aren't common but assuming you have good spark and spark plug threaded into head correctly then problem is either injector or mechanical problem. Aftermarket injectors will be fine. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
All comes back ok. Dry compression test is good, did a pressure test and that was good. Already replaced plugs and coils. #2 keeps popping a code.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Then replace injector, let me know how it goes. THanks.