HDGene
HDGene, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 year ASE Master Technician & Advanced Drivability L1 Certified Ford Senior Master Technician
285738

I have a 2007 Lincoln MKX with around a hundred and thirty

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Lincoln MKX with around a hundred and thirty thousand miles. While driving the other day I heard a strange grinding sound and then found out that my coolant was leaking. I filled up the coolant but when I looked underneath the vehicle it was pouring out from the back of the motor near the transmission. I think it's the water pump but I don't understand why the water is coming out of where the transmission is. I checked the temperature gauge and that entire area is dry and it looks like the water is pouring out of the transmission
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  HDGene replied 9 months ago.

Hello, the water pump has failed, it is driven by the timing chain and has a water pipe on the back side of the pump under the intake manifold in the engine valley. When the pump fails it blows coolant back in the engine valley and runs out by the transmission. There is also a weep hole on the front of the engine by the altenator. Big job, you have to remove the front timing cover and timing chain to replace the pump

Expert:  HDGene replied 8 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have been away from my phone for a few days, left it home and I was out of town. So it is the water pump, anf getting that replaced will fix it? So I am going to pull the tire and wheel well off. Then remove the timing belt? Any suggestions on how to make this happen? I've got plenty of time to do it. I just want to do it right.
Expert:  HDGene replied 8 months ago.

Yes it will fix it but this is a huge job, it is a timing chain not a belt. You have to remoce the upper intake manifold, both valve covers , disassemble the front of the engine accessories, remove the front timing cover and crank pulley, remove the timing chain, the water pump. retime the timing chain(which should be replaced with both camshaft phaser pullies. and reassemble, some shops out to drop the complete engine and transmission to make this job easier to do since there is little room to work on this in the vehicle.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do I need any specialty tools? Should I be concerned about any water in the engine or transmission? I have checked both and they look like the right texture and color. So basically this is probably going to take me about 2 to 3 days? Thanks for all you assistance.
Expert:  HDGene replied 8 months ago.

You should look online for a service manual this is a huge and complex job. you will need a crankshaft pulley remover. If it still has hydraulic power steering. it uses a stretch belt. you will need tools to remove and install it. If you havent done this type of job before you would be better off having a shop perform it, its a lot of work and if done incorrectly, will not be fun to do again.

Expert:  HDGene replied 8 months ago.

Expert:  HDGene replied 8 months ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?