C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and hands on experience.

The ac in my 2007 Lincoln town car gets warm when I

Customer Question

The ac in my 2007 Lincoln town car gets warm when I accelerate then when I'm idling or cruising it seems to work normally
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 4 months ago.

When the vehicle detects the throttle cable is down at a certain percent it is normal for it to kick off the ac compressor to give you full power when trying to accelerate. This is normal operation. Unless it is doing it when you are under light acceleration this would be caused from the incorrect amount of refrigerant in the system. You will need to recharge the system to the proper amounts. You can try an at home kit but most of the times this does damage to the system costing you thousands of extra money to fix.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Actually when I cruise at 70-75 it gets warm also

When cruising at 70-75 it should not get warm unless you are climbing a incline. On normal flat land it should blow cold. This is a direct indication the refrigeration charge is low and when the vehicle engine rpms are higher it will not kick on the compressor unless the pressure on the high and low side are within range. Once you get it charged to the proper psi it will work like a charm again.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok as a reference how many cans will this vehicle take if I buy them and do it myself?

It takes 23 ozs when empty. The smaller cans are 12oz so just get one can and make sure you do not go over 40 as if you do than you have to remove some. Go ahead and run to the local parts store and get a can of R134a refrigerant. Make sure you get a gauge as well. Than we will connect to the low side port and add until it gets to 35-40 PSI anywhere in that range. Than the problem will be solved.