HDGene, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 year ASE Master Technician & Advanced Drivability L1 Certified Ford Senior Master Technician

I bought a FWD 2014 MKS equipped with the base v6 engine and

Customer Question

I bought a FWD 2014 MKS equipped with the base v6 engine and has 45,000 miles on it. The engine seems to run hot and repair consultant says the engine thermostat keeps engine temperature at 212 degrees. I also smell coolant smell from the engine and he said that can happen. There is no temperature gauge to visually track whether it is running hot but no coolant gets on the garage floor and small reservoir has some coolant in it. Shoould I be concerned?
Also coolant supposedly doesn't need to be changed for 100,000 miles which I think is to long and transmission fluid at 100,000 miles. What do you think?
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  HDGene replied 4 months ago.

Hello, if you are smelling coolant, there is a good chance there is a leak somewhere or an issue with the pressure cap. If the cap isnt sealing properly on the coolant jug it will allow the coolant to boil over. Pressurizing the system raises the boiling point. Make sure the cooling fan is working properly, run a diagnostic check for codes with a scan tool. Pressure test the cooling system and check for leaks. Top off coolant jug if it appears low and monitor for leaks. A stuck closed thermostat can cause the engine to run hotter.

Expert:  HDGene replied 4 months ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  HDGene replied 4 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?