Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

I have a 2008 navigator, i have had an issue with shaking

Customer Question

I have a 2008 navigator, i have had an issue with shaking while driving at highway speeds for years..I thought it was the 24" wheels and tires. I recently went back to my stock wheels with cheap tires. I knew the tires were garbage, so when they started to wear i finally got rid of them and got some very nice Nittos. The ride is much better as the old tires were wearing on the outside edge bad, which im not sure if that was a suspension or just the cheap tires, becuase i dont see any premature wear on the new ones.
Now I have new tires, factory rims, and ive been aligned, and balanced. I went back to tire kingdom and had it balanced again because it was shaking. That time they said weights came off the back wheels. They rebalanced, but I still have shaking at 75-90mph noticeably. I believe there are multiple issues here, but now i have all the obvious taken care of, and still shake. The strange part about the shake is that its not always constant. Sometimes it seems to be less for a minute or two, then comes back. Some times seem worse then others. I jacked up the truck and looked for worn suspension parts, joints, etc. Couldnt see any issues. Issues that i do know, im at that dreaded point where the air ride is leaking in back. and Ive never had the front struts replaced, ( i have 180,000) on the truck. I dont know if those would cause vibrations like that. I was thinking of going to the dealership, but I would like to get some more input before getting stuck with that bill. Thanks in advance
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

There are quite a few things that can cause a shake while driving at high speeds. Alignment issues, tire balance issues, suspension issues, steering rack, bent wheels. This will be hard to diagnose over this site. You may have to bring this in to a shop.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Lift up the front of the vehicle, shake down the front wheels. side to side and top to bottom. feel for any looseness in the wheels. Look for loose ball joints, tie rod ends, wheel bearings. Look at the tire wear, check for uneven high and low spots on the tire.