Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln

J. I own a 2013 Lincoln MKT with 105k miles. I have a issue

Customer Question

Hello, I am Gary J. I own a 2013 Lincoln MKT with 105k miles. I have a issue with my car stuttering and loss of power coming to a stop and accelerating from a stop. At over 40 miles an hr it seems to go away . I also notice loud grating noise coming from underneath the car at speeds. In reverse the car seem to be ok and no sounds.
JA: Which part of the car is the noise coming from? Would you describe the noise as frequent or constant?
Customer: I would guess the sound is from the transmission. At low speeds in drive gear sound is constant.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes if possible
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing myself, Just had my family mechanic look it over and test drive. He said it might be a loose Solenoid in transmission
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lincoln Mechanic should know about your Lincoln?
Customer: transmission had routine service at dealership late last year. no issues prior
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lincoln Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

may have a hydraulic leak in the Transmissions valve body. The valve body casting has a pocket under the separator plate for a bolt that holds the valve body sections together. The pocket depth may be too shallow causing the bolt head to extend above the valve body surface and preventing the separator plate from sealing on the valve body. Check the bolt head clearance with a straight edge to insure the bolt head is not higher than the valve body surface also look for witness marks on the separator plate. If the bolt head has contacted the separator plate, replace the main control. Use available Service Labor Times and workshop manual procedures.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for the advice Steve . I am planning to take my car to the shop Tuesday morning. Would said issue require rebuilding of transmission or replacement of internals?
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

Or are there no codes and the car not completing the monitor test?

Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

Sorry computer error did not mean for the last statement to go to you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no problem.
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

It just may require replacing the valve body. that is the part that holds the solenoids your mechanic friend was talking about.

Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

Do you have any other questions on your concern?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thank you will see what the results are tomorrow
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

Have a great holiday.