A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician

I have 1997 Lincoln Vlll LSC I parked in in front of garage

Customer Question

I have 1997 Lincoln mark Vlll LSC I parked in in front of garage door with another car in it and now I can't get it out of park feels like the bottom on the side is not working need some help
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  A. Penland replied 4 months ago.

First make sure you have brake lights when you step on the brake pedal. The shifter has an interlock switch in it that allows the shifter to move out of park when the brake pedal is depressed. If you have brake lights, then, If the gearshift lever CANNOT be movedfrom P (Park) with the brake pedal depressed:

1. Turn the engine off and remove the ignition key.

2. Apply parking brake.

3. Reinsert the ignition key and turn clockwise to the first position.

4. Depress the brake pedal, move the gearshift lever to N (Neutral) and start the engine.

If you need to shift out of P (Park) by using the alternate procedure described above, it is possible that a fuse has blown and that your brake lamps.

may also not be functional

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I it out of park the fuse was not blown but I have no brake lights and now can't get e break off

Check fuses #35 and #5 in the dash fuse box. Also, look on page 171 of the owners manual. If you do not have it, click the link below. Also inspect the brake light switch for power on both wires of the connector with the brake pedal depressed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will have to finish the other fuses tomorrow it dark and raining here in Pittsburg you have been very helpful do I need to pay tonight or can I wait until tomorrow. And how do I give you a tip as well

I will be on line tomorrow. I'll get an email when you reply. You can accept and still reply back on this post tomorrow. We can talk back and forth to repair your Mark VIII.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You are my new best friend! I will talk to you tomorrow thanks so much

You are very welcome. Have a great Memorial Day.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can please give me a call about my 1997 Mark Vlll? I found a blown fuse but I have no tail lights and the fuse keep blowing! I need to pay for your help and I ant to give you a tip and use you in the future. Thanks. My number is(###) ###-####

Sorry I cannot use my phone for this site as it is owned by my dealership. What is the fuse #and location of the fuse?