Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

Having a issue with the air suspension : It has new airbags

Customer Question

Having a issue with the air suspension
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Lincoln. The Lincoln Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It has new airbags under the back of it and it still won't air up
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: At first I thought the airbags where blown so I put new ones in and the compressor kicks on but they won't air up
JA: Since a working air compressor is essential to a functioning AC system, it's best to check out any issues with a mechanic ASAP. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Lincoln Mechanic should be aware of about your Lincoln?
Customer: This isn't the AC compressor
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lincoln Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Inspect from the compressor to any valve block and to the air bags or air shocks and see if any leaks are found in the tubing or connections.Use a soapy bottle of water (spray bottle) and spray around connections to see if you locate any leaks with the pump running (the bubbles will move around rapidly on the sprayed area if a leak is found or may blow up to bigger bubbles).If no leaks are found it is possible the compressor itself is at fault.It may be running but it may not be supplying enough or any air pressure at all.I have seen these fail before needing replaced.

If these are o.k. depending on the model and year I would have the fault codes read out/checked with a scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and repair this issue here.Most models use a valve block that the compressor pumps air to then this block distributes the air to the shocks.If this block is faulty it will need replaced for this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've checked for leaks and found none. I suspect the compressor but how do you check it? It runs obviously but I have no way of knowing if it's putting out any pressure
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've also pulled the codes and I don't remember the code exactly but all it the code was saying is that the rear wasn't rising
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

In allot of cases you can remove the air line from it carefully to not damage it or allow the vehicle to lower onto you and then run the compressor with a scan tool to activate it or wait for it to kick on and see if you can feel a good amount of air coming out of it.If there is no air or very little air pressure then the compressor needs replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have thought about that but once I remove a airline from the compressor my understanding is you cannot plug it back in due to the brass collett is a one time use item.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

It is usually a one time use.I have re used them in some cases with success but not all of the time.If you can locate where this line leads to you can disconnect it at a different location and see what you have for air flow.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do have another compressor that I know is good but I cannot find where to buy any of the brass fittings to hook it up.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Usually the fittings come with a new compressor from a dealer but in some cases the dealer can order in just the fitting as I have seen on some models before.If you have not contacted them to see if they can get this fitting I would see if this is an option.I would still have the fault codes checked/read out to see what codes are set as this will help diagnose and locate this issue here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I unhooked the Union under the brake master cylinder and with the compressor on i can feel air coming out but yet still no air in the bags in the rear.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

I apologize for the delay as I was offline.

Trace the lines to the rear air bags and let me know if you run across a block/valve the line goes into before it gets to the air bags/air shocks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I know where the Y fitting is
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Is there a block that the fitting screws into and if so does it have an electrical connection as well at all?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
On the framerail there is a fill solenoid which has a electrical connection. Farther back is a Y, release valve and then the 2 solenoids on the airbags themselves. I am getting air past the rear fill solenoid but I'm having issues getting the line off of the airbag solenoids to check them there
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

What year and model as well as engine size is this vehicle here?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1999 with the 5.4 dohc engine and 4x4
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

O.k.,when the compressor kicks on is there air coming out at the rear shocks that are installed where the air would enter the shock if you take the air line off and check?

Did you make sure the rear air spring solenoid electrical connections were plugged in?