HDGene, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 year ASE Master Technician & Advanced Drivability L1 Certified Ford Senior Master Technician

I have a 1982 Lincoln C Town Car : it starts up kind of

Customer Question

I have a 1982 Lincoln C Town Car
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Lincoln. The Lincoln Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: it starts up kind of rough at idle will go up and down I just gave it a tune-up not too long ago and I did not have that problem but now all of a sudden my idle goes up and down while it's idling when I try to take off it acts like it's going to die
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: if I can but I don't have to crawl underneath it if I have to take it to the shop I will
JA: Is there anything else the Lincoln Mechanic should be aware of about your Lincoln?
Customer: it only has 37 original miles $37,000 Channel miles I bought it set up for about 10-15 years in the garage I've been running it for about 3 weeks now and just gave it a tune-up I put synthetic oil in it since it set up so long put fuel injector cleaner in it and it and now all the sudden it started acting up after the tune up
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lincoln Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  HDGene replied 4 months ago.

Ok you had no problem til after the tune up. It runs ok driving down the road and just a surging idle? No vacuum Leaks? This uses a VV Feedback carbuertor correct? Did you change the fuel filter also?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Right no problems before tune up.
Yes runs a drives but it dose hesitate sometime when want to speed up and when stop at a light take off is hesitated to have to work the pedle to get it going .
No vacum leaked and it has two injectors on top of a throttle body
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no id not change the fuel filter
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Its is electronic fule injected
Expert:  HDGene replied 4 months ago.

Ok since it was fine before doing a tune up i suspect either you might have bumped a spark plug during installation and made the gap too small or closed, or an ignition wire routing or miswired ignition wire set. Double check to make sure you used the correct rotor button in the distributor. If you get one for a 6 cylinder instead of a V8 it can do this. Try swapping out the old distributor cap if all looks ok. You could have a defective part. Make sure the ignition wires are going to the correct firing order.

Expert:  HDGene replied 4 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help or information?