HDGene
HDGene, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 year ASE Master Technician & Advanced Drivability L1 Certified Ford Senior Master Technician
285738

I have a 2008 lincoln mkx when driving and ac kicks on

Customer Question

i have a 2008 lincoln mkx when driving and ac kicks on vehicle feels like it wants to stall, then ac is turned off and drives normal
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  HDGene replied 6 months ago.

Hello, it sounds like an issue with the ac compressor or clutch pulley is draging or compressor is seizing up. If it is trying to bog down the engine only when the ac compressor is on, this is most likely the issue.Inspect the ac compressor and clutch with the engine off to look for any signs of wear or overheating. RUn the engine with the ac off and observe how the pulley turns and then with the ac on and clutch locked. See if the compressor pulley is slowing down or seized when turning. If this is the case. Replacement of the compressor would be needed or the clutch itself if the compressor isnt seized but the pulley looks damaged.

Expert:  HDGene replied 6 months ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do you know how much a new compressor cost from dealership?
Expert:  HDGene replied 6 months ago.

Big bucks at a dealer, probably close to 1k or more. much cheaper at a local repair shop

Expert:  HDGene replied 6 months ago.

But if you do opt to get it repaired at a dealer, You will get a 2 year unlimited milage warranty on the repair through Lincoln/Ford

Expert:  HDGene replied 6 months ago.

If you need more help, please let me know. If I was helpful, please leave a positive rating so I get credit for helping you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The pully continues to spin fine but when compressor kicks in it bogs down and Roma rev up but ac is working just fine and is blowing cold
Expert:  HDGene replied 6 months ago.

and the roma revup? Not sure what you mean?Since its blowing cold its a good thing. Need to make sure the pulley doesnt look borwn/rusty or overheated. Check the cooling fans operation on the radiator. Make sure they are spinning frrely. An AC check with a set of gauge will rule out compressor operation and a diagnostic check for codes with as can tool even if the check engine light is off to make sure its not an idle setting issue.

Expert:  HDGene replied 6 months ago.

Do you need more help or information?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Engine revved up when ac compressor kicked in sorry
Expert:  HDGene replied 6 months ago.

No problem, long as its blowing cold is a good thing. Need to have an ac performance check done and possible diagnostic check if the idle is too low

Expert:  HDGene replied 6 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help or information?