Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

2004 Towncar. Instrument panel right side data display, has

Customer Question

2004 Towncar. Instrument panel right side data display, has started "freaking out"... randomly displaying only a portion of the data (speed, mileage, range, etc). When I scroll thru the select function, sometimes it stablizes, sometimes I just leavbe it alone and it recovers itself. I suspect there is a circuit board inside the cluster that is failing, but that is just a guess. Any guidance?
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 10 months ago.

HEY , MY NAME IS***** TRY TO ASSIST YOU ,

THE DIGITAL INSTRUMENT PANEL ARE A COMMON PROBLEM , YOU CAN SEND IT OUT AND GET IT REBUILD THERE IS A LOT OF ONLINE SERVICES THAT DO THAT NOW , IT WILL BE BETTER THAN USED CLUSTER . THEY USE UPGRADED COMPONENTS WITH THE REBUILD ONE THAT DON T FAIL AS MUCH AS THE OLD ONES.

BUT IF YOU PLANNING ON TAKING IT OUT YOURSELF , BEFORE YOU SEND IT OUT , MAKE SURE THE CONNECTOR IN THE BACK OF THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER IS NOT THE PROBLEM , LOOK FOR EVIDENCE OF BLACK SPOTS ,BURN OR MELTING INSIDE OR AROUND EDGE OF THE ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR THAT PLUGS IN THE CLUSTER ?

OFF-COURSE GRANTED , THE CAR RUINING GOOD ,AND BATTERY AND ALTERNATOR IS CHARGING SYSTEM IS FINE AND NO AFTER MARKET STEREO OR EXTRA EQUIPMENT HOOKED UP TO THE FUSE BOX THAT MIGHT BE CAUSING IT

IF U HAVE A DIAGNOSTIC SCANNER U CAN TRY COMMUNICATING WITH IC CLUSTER AND RUN A TEST ON IT ,