virtual auto tech.
virtual auto tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 13 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop

After considerable effort, I have been unable to find the

Customer Question

After considerable effort, I have been unable to find the A/C leak in my 2006 TownCar. It will not hold a charge and is always gone in about 3-4 days. Each time there is a dye additive used, and the last time I tried a stop leak. (I know it does not work if one cannot hold a charge for at least two weeks, but I was desperate..)
We always use a proper light and glasses to look for leaks, but none are seen. Over, under, sideways, inside, outside....., nothing shows up. With that amount of leakage, there should be huge amounts of dye trails.
Has anyone had such a problem before, and has anyone found a solution?
Category: Lincoln
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hey, Moose. We've worked together before, and I'm glad to have you on my problem. Thank you.
Expert:  virtual auto tech. replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.

I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there. So first off you are right, with a leak that size there should be a dye trail. Has the evaporator been checked? It is usually really hard to see if not impossible. But if you look at the pee hole out side underneath but inside the engine bay. I should be directly infront of the evaporator casing. If you look at it with it running you should be able to see if there is a slight glow to it. you can also uv test the condensation puddle if you leave it in one area for a while but I find looking at or in the hose usually yields results. Let me know what you think. Thanks Sonny

ok I guess I need to finish reading your pot online. It states you replaced the evaporator. hmm give me a min to finish it

ok so it sounds like you have checked you bases and rechecked them. The only thing I can add, and I have seen this on a few, is have you checked the shrader valve? both hi and low. I ask because if you added dye when you take the hoses off it sprays alittle out and normally you just bye pass this as you look at the system thinking it was your fault as the hoses came off. If they are leaking ever so slightly and esp. if you put the caps back on it will leak out slowly and not allow the oil to come out with it, or atleast very much oil. If you put tape on them or tape a rubber glove on them then you can see if they are leaking. or you can just replace the valve in them and retry. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks Sonny

Expert:  virtual auto tech. replied 4 months ago.
Do you still need help with this problem? Was my suggestion of any help?Thanks