Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

1998 lincoln navigator no a/c, compressor not running Tried

Customer Question

1998 lincoln navigator no a/c, compressor not running
Tried automatic setting and max setting
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

One of the more common issues for the ac compressor not engaging causing a fault like this here is a fault with the ac system being low on freon.With the ac being low on freon this indicates there is a leak in the ac system and the lines and ac components need inspected for the leak and once located repaired and then the ac freon refilled to the proper level.I suspect that may be what is causing this issue here.

You will want to have the fault codes checked first to see if any codes are set and from there the codes diagnosed.If no codes are set then the freon needs checked to see if the vehicle is low on freon.If found low then the leak needs located and repaired from there.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I checked fault codes on EATC, none shown. Jumped high pressure cutoff- no compressor, jumped cycle switch - comp started, replaced cycle switch- no comp. I was told system had been charged recently, but I have not checked pressures. I will need to get the proper gauge. Besides low on freon any other things I can check?
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Besides low on freon you will want to have the fault codes checked in all computers with a scan tool that can read all computers.This way if there are any fault codes set in the computers they can then be diagnosed to help locate and repair this fault here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will check early this week
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

O.k.,let me know what you come up with here when your ready.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I added refrigerant to get compressor to turn on
what should normal low and high pressures be with max air on?
I have about 42 low about 170 high
duct temp is 55