A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician

No fuel pressure after hitting a deer JA: Sometimes things

Customer Question

No fuel pressure after hitting a deer
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. What kind of car is it? Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chrysler, etc.
Customer: 2001 Lincoln town car
JA: Got it. What model and year?
Customer: Town car 2001
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: No fuel pressure after hitting a deer. I checked the inertia switch and fuses and relays
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Inertia switch,fuses,relays
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should be aware of about your Lincoln town?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  A. Penland replied 5 months ago.
Do you have a test light to check for power through the inertia switch?How are you checking fuel pressure?Does the engine crank over and not start or not crank over?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have not put a test light to the inertia switch yet. I'm checking the fuel pressure where you hook a gauge to just pushing the valve care down. It cranks over and just won't start
You will need to check for power into and then out of the inertia switch. You will have power in on the DARK GREEN/YELLOW striped wire and power out on the PINK/BLACK striped wire which goes to the fuel pump.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just checked that and there is no power to it
No power on the DARK GREEN/YELLOW, then check fuse #22 and the fuel pump relay in the engine bay fuse box. Also se if the check engine light comes on when you turn the key to on in the instrument cluster.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The #22 fuse is good and the relay is as well. The check engine light is on
The relay sends power to the inertia switch when the key is turned on. See the diagram below.