A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
14865528

Pearl. On the AC pump the clutch is not engaging, no current

Customer Question

Pearl. On the AC pump the clutch is not engaging, no current flowing to it, fuses are ok.
JA: Many things can cause trouble with the A/C. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: On the AC pump the clutch is not engaging, no current flowing to it, fuses are OK. Fan and other things are working, Freon is at OK level.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Turn on the engine, idle, AC on @ 60 F, fan is working, hot air pumping, clutch on AC pump is not engage, no current flowing to the electromagnetic clutch.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lincoln Mechanic should know about your Lincoln?
Customer: Nothing I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lincoln Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  A. Penland replied 9 months ago.
What year and model Lincoln are you working on?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
1997, Continental "Cartier"
Thank you. First check and see if the cooling fans are coming on when you start the engine and turn the AC on. Please let me know.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
all its working except the clutch on the AC pump is not engaging, no current flowing to the clutch, all fuses are OK, what else could be wrong ?
The problem can be caused by several items. The AC compressor clutch relay in the engine bay fuse box, a cycle switch, wiring or the PCM (Engine Computer). It will require some testing that I can walk you through if you have a test light or digital multimeter.