Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech
7276279

I have a 98 lincoln navigator that won't start. New battery,

Customer Question

I have a 98 lincoln navigator that won't start. New battery, new starter, new programmed key
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Lincoln. The Lincoln Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: When you turn the key, the acc position works fine but when you turn the key to the run position it doesn't try out crank. I've checked fuses.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: New battery, new starter, new key, checked fuses and relays.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lincoln Mechanic should know about your Lincoln?
Customer: I don't know
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lincoln Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Ronnie replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.There are two fuse that you need to check first located in the interior fuse panel. The fuses to check are the fuse 20 and fuse 21, make sure you have power in and out of them. If the fuse checks okay then take your 12 volt test light and or a volt meter and see if you have power in to the transmission range sensor on the dark blue/orange wire and out to the starter solenoid on the tan/red wire while holding the key in the crank position. See the wiring diagram in the link below for reference. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it. Check this for me and post back with the results and we can work from there.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/No%20crank%20May%206.pdf
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I've checked all the fuses in the navigator all are fine.
Expert:  Ronnie replied 7 months ago.
Okay then the next step is to then take your 12 volt test light and or a volt meter and see if you have power in to the transmission range sensor on the dark blue/orange wire and out to the starter solenoid on the tan/red wire while holding the key in the crank position.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That was my next guess. Just wasn't sure how to test the range sensor. I will try that this afternoon after work.
Expert:  Ronnie replied 7 months ago.
Yes lets get it checked and post back with the results and we can work from there.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Then dark blue /red has voltage. Then tan/red has 4 volts all the time and goes up to 6 when the key is turned to run
Expert:  Ronnie replied 7 months ago.
Both the dark blue/orange wire as well as the tan/red wire should have battery voltage while holding the key in the crank position, the tan/red is the feed to the starter solenoid . If you do not have battery voltage on it then in most cases that means the range sensor has failed.