HDGene
HDGene, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 year ASE Master Technician & Advanced Drivability L1 Certified Ford Senior Master Technician
285738

I own a 2001 Lincoln continental. It would not turn over like

Customer Question

I own a 2001 Lincoln continental. It would not turn over like it wasn't getting gas, but after it set for a few minutes it would start. Eventually if you turned the car of it would not start. It sounded like it wanted to but would not. I have changed the fuel pump, changed the fuel filter. it is not the anti-theft key, it has no power. Should I have power all of the time to my fuel relay switch? I don't have power at my fuel relay fuse.
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, I am! And it has always turned over, it just won't start. It is not getting any fuel.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I stated already that I have put a new fuel pump and filter. I have checked for power in several places, the fuel pump will not come on for those few seconds when you turn the key.
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: It is a 4.6L
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lincoln
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  HDGene replied 7 months ago.
Hello, no the fuel pump circuit is only energized for a few seconds when the key is turned to on to prime the fuel rail. You have no fuel pressure at the fuel rail when the key is turned to on? Does the check engine light come on when the key is turned to on and go out when cranking? Will it run if you spray a little carb cleaner into the intake?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have no fuel pressure. The power at the fuel pump is only for an instant, not the usual few seconds. Engine light comes on and goes off. It will run with carb cleaner.
Expert:  HDGene replied 7 months ago.
Ok fuel pump is only energized for a few seconds. No diagnostic trouble codes stored? This vehicle uses a CCRM relay module that the fuel pump and eec power relays are part of and cant be replaced seperately. If the pump circuit wont power up id suspect a bad CCRM
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Should I have power to the fuel pump relay fuse?
Expert:  HDGene replied 7 months ago.
With the key on yes it should have power. the ccrm relay completes the fuel pump circuit.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When I pull that fuse- there is no power on either side, with the key on.
Expert:  HDGene replied 7 months ago.
Ok one sec, I was looking at a V6 schematic, this vehicle uses a fuel pump module located in the trunk area of the vehicle, you need to run a diagnostic check for codes on this vehicle to have a better idea whats wrong. The PCM relay sends power to the inertia switch and then to the fuel pump module directly I dont see seperate fuel pump fuse as part of the fuel pump circuit
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay, Gene, I'll do that. Thank you for your time, I appreciate your help.
Expert:  HDGene replied 7 months ago.
No problem, let me know if I can be of more specific help.