A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician

I have a 2004 town car. JA: Sometimes things that you think

Customer Question

i have a 2004 town car.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Lincoln. The Lincoln Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: i have a 2004 town car and some times the a/c works and some times thee heat works but eventually they both stop and i hear the fan working but no air coming through vents. is this my actuator not working?
JA: Many things can cause trouble with the A/C. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: the condensor had to be replaced but i have had this problem prior to this.I have taken twice to a mechanic but they did not see problem.Before it was just the a/c now both do not work
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lincoln Mechanic should know about your Lincoln?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lincoln Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  A. Penland replied 5 months ago.

When this happens, does the air only come out of the top of the dash through the defroster vents by the windshield?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Very limited
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The runs fast but
Do not call
The fan runs fast but a/c and heat does not come out

Do the self test below on the AC control panel and see if any trouble codes show up on the display.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am soorttook so long to reply but received your answer late in the evening and did not get back to reading it until now.
I tried what you said.
the only code that came back was 888 and the system was functioning at the time
It appears that it is an intermitted problem.
The a/c and heat could work for a while and then stop or not work right from the beginning.
when not working the fan will be working but nothing coming out of vents or very little.
I have taken this to my Garage several times and it has been working when they start it up to test it.
I use the car for transportation and the weather will be getting warmer soon.
need a miracle.

You need to do the test when it is acting up. It may be any number of items causing it. I would hate to guess at this time. See if you can test it when it is acting up.

When it is acting up, do not turn the key off and do the self test.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have run the test while problem was acting up and the display shows 88.8 CF on both sides of the display.
Had my mechanic do it also, and he came out with same result.
Had to drive a Customer yesterday with no heat or a/c.
I know solution could be inexpensive or costly and need the right diagnosis.
can you help further?
Do not trust taking this to an unknown a/c repair facility.

Since you have run the tests with the problem happening and when it is working and no DTCS on the display, looks like the AC control panel is the problem. It is a module within itself and is internally failing. It cannot see any problems and display any DTCs because it is the problem.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is this a/c control panel located behind tha a/c panel on dash or it the module located on the firewall near the power steering container and also inside behind the glove box?
If it is behind the a/c panel is it difficult to replace?

The AC control panel is the AC controls you did the self test on and got the 88.8 CF.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can not find any information on how to replace this panel and how difficult to do so.
Also do not see an pricing info.
Can you help?

See below for replacement of control panel. I will need the VIN# ***** get price on panel.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
vin 1NHM83W04Y614359

Ford does still sell them. The part # ***** ***** But the price is $803.82. You can check this web site we use that searches used auto part suppliers in your area. Search AC control units for your vehicle.