Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

2007 Navigator with new air suspension compressor. worked good

Customer Question

2007 Navigator with new air suspension compressor. worked good for 6 months and now compressor is not turning on. Vehicle is now down all 4 tires
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Lincoln. The Lincoln Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: compressor no longer turns on to supply the air
JA: Since a working air compressor is essential to a functioning AC system, it's best to check out any issues with a mechanic ASAP. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked all fuses . 20 amp for cigarette lighter was the only one blown
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lincoln Mechanic should know about your Lincoln?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lincoln Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Adam Legler replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am an ASE Master and Advanced Level Certified Automotive Repair Technician with over 12 years experience and I've personally worked on over 25,000 vehicles. I also carry the Service Consultant and Parts Specialist certifications. I see you have a question about your Navigator and I can help you!Your question caught my attention because I have personally worked on a handful of navigators with air ride issues, having diagnosed and replaced almost every component on that system and even installed the conversion kits over to conventional struts.You mentioned 6 months ago the compressor was replaced. At this time, was any other part or component of the air suspension replaced or repaired?Please feel free to ask any questions that come to mind. It is my goal to determine the cause and remedy for your concern. I look forward to a speedy repair! Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
nothing else was replaced except for the 50 amp fuse
Ok, that good to hear. I ask that question only because the air compressor failure is almost always attributable to an underlying cause that typically goes unseen and/or undiagnosed. I refer to this as a cause and affect relationship. Unfortunately if your compressor has failed again, it may have to be replaced (again) to then determine the cause of why it failed.I know above you said you did check all the fuses, did you also check that 50amp fuse that you just mentioned?Also, in the past 6 months, did you notice the air compressor (which is in the left rear of the vehicle) running more than usual? And did you ever come out to the vehicle in the morning, or after sitting for a couple days that the suspension had lost all of its air?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The 50 amp fuse is good. My compressor that was replaced was in the front under the passenger light assembly and until yesterday the auto leveling was working good. I noticed after I want about 5 miles that the rear was dropping and then the front started to also. Car was parked for about 2 hours and when I went to leave was all of the way down.
Oh, in that case I should have asked first if it is the navigator L? And is it the ultimate or the luxury? My apologies
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it is a ultimate and not a L
Its actually somewhat of a good sign that the 50amp fuse if not blown. This means that the VDM control module may have simply deactivated the air compressor when it either reached a certain temperature or noticed the vehicle height was not changing after running for a predetermined amount of time. After you get back to me with your trim model, what I'd like to try to walk you thru is testing that system for air leaks, but my only concern is that to do so correctly the air compressor will need to be running, and when I do that in the shop it requires the use of a factory level scan tool or the FORD IDS system. But what we can try to do to reset the system to get the air compressor to activate is to disconnect the battery for approx 30 minutes in an attempt to clear any faults stored within the VDM (Vehicle Dynamics Module, its the computer for the air suspension)I will be important to be ready to do my test immediately after the battery is reconnected. You will need a spray bottle with a soap and warm water solution. Also, before that too, it will be important to familiarize yourself with where the air lines run, where the air bags are, and what you're looking for. I will walk you through every step of this process
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will disconnect the battery now
Sounds great. The pump on the Ultimate non-"L" is up front, my apologies. Basically if the compressor does decide to come on after having the battery disconnected, we will need to spray every part of the air system with the soapy water solution to attempt to find a leak. Since it seems like the rear started dropping first, my suggestion would be to start back there, I'll see if there are any pictures that will assist you in identifying the components to test.Before you begin, it is important to know that there is a possibility you may find no leaks and it may be simply that the compressor that was installed 6 months ago may have simply failed. However, the only way of checking the compressor is by checking the fuse, any additional testing would need to be done with the use of a scan tool to enter the VDM.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok I should be able to hook up the battery at 2:25
Sounds great, I'll keep an eye out for your reply. There's a chance I won't be able to respond immediately, but I will stick with you beginning to end. Thanks so much for your patience and allowing me to help with your concern.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am ready to hook up the battery
Ok, on the diagram I've attached is a picture if the rear air suspension. You'll notice the large bags over the struts, denoted by number 1. I'd like you, pending the air compressor comes on, to mist those entire bags down with your soapy water solution, make sure its warm water too. Note too, you'll have to ensure the vehicle is running. The compressor should activate within a couple seconds of starting the vehicle. We're looking for air bubbles. If the vehicle begins to lift that is great! We will use that to our advantage by taking the added suspension height and testing more of system.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok everything is ready to go
Good luck mate! Let me know what you find!
Hello again, just wanted to let you know I'll be off the rest of the afternoon There is no rush at all, so please reply once you've completed your test, I can access my interface via mobile. Thanks again and I look forward to the results
Hello again, just wanted to check-in and see if/how the air leak test went and if the air compressor turned on. Just a reminder, please feel free to ask any questions you may have. Thanks again, I look forward to hearing from you!