Experience:  30 years, Ford master certified

I'm trying to get my differential pinion shaft back in on my

Customer Question

I'm trying to get my differential pinion shaft back in on my 2000 Lincoln Navigator, but i think my differential clutch pack in incorrectly. There isn't enough space for me to insert the differential pinion shaft.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I need help getting my differential pinion gears, thrust washers and pinion bolt back into my differential. I have a 2000 Lincoln Navigator (4 wheel drive).
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Reassembling everything, but once I can't get enough clearance between the drive shafts to insert the pinion shaft.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: Sure. I think my transfer case motor doesn't work.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  ironmike replied 5 months ago.
Greetings, do you have the tool to spread the side gears? have you ever installed spider gears before? did you measure the side shims when removing the clutches?
Expert:  ironmike replied 5 months ago.
This clutch set up takes special tools to compress the spring or beveled washer and then turn the side gears to align the spider gears for the axles to go in. This is usually done on a bench.
Expert:  ironmike replied 5 months ago.
instructions come with the ford clutches
Expert:  ironmike replied 5 months ago.
I have seen the ears on the frictions move and cause the side gears not to compress all the way needed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can you be more specific about the tool(s) necessary for getting the spider gears back in and the Pinion shaft back in? Can all of the work be completed while the car is on jack stands?
Expert:  ironmike replied 5 months ago.
the tool spreads the side gears and compresses the clutches. to set the spider gears so the pin will go in you need to turn one side gear with the axle. I have done this at the dealer with the tools and it is very difficult to do it without. I did see someone do it in the vehicle.
Expert:  ironmike replied 5 months ago. give this guy some credit
Expert:  ironmike replied 5 months ago.
used to turn the side gears
Expert:  ironmike replied 5 months ago.
here is the complete kit. You will need to remove the carrier if you do it with the ford kit.
Expert:  ironmike replied 5 months ago.
how is it going?