James, Certified Lincoln Technician
Experience:  Ford/Lincoln Senior Master Technician

I have a 2003 lincoln navigator. The lift gate is not lifting

Customer Question

I have a 2003 lincoln navigator. The lift gate is not lifting and closing electronically
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The tailgate will not open when the button on the inside of the vehicle is pushed or the button on the key fob
JA: Dealing with a malfunctioning key fob can be frustrating and really inconvenient -- the mechanics will have somegood ideas about what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No. It is currently at a ford dealership but they are quoting me $1100 to repair it!
JA: OK! The Ford Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: I'm experiencing the same thing with the rear seats. They are not operating to lift up and down.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  James replied 6 months ago.
Hello, what are they trying to replace? On these vehicles it is most common for the lift gate motors to wear out and need replacement.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I listed the issue in my original request. I don't know exactly what needs to be replaced; however, the tailgate is not working.
Expert:  James replied 6 months ago.
I see your issue. I was letting you know it's very common to replace the lift gate motor to correct the concern you are having.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, I see. Is this part easy to locate. The dealer is saying I need a door control assembly.
Expert:  James replied 6 months ago.
When you lift up the lift gate you will see the large rod on the driver side. This is what the motor attaches too