A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician

Lincoln: 04 aviator runs smooth at idle soon as u give it gas

Customer Question

04 aviator runs smooth at idle soon as u give it gas it starts missing but with no dtc had the coil harrnessed and injector harrness replaced 2coils and 2 injectors compression is good stumped
Category: Lincoln
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Changed plugs under load no power and codes
Expert:  A. Penland replied 6 months ago.
A coil and/or spark plug will cause a miss fire under load/acceleration. Since you have no trouble codes, the best way to locate the cause is to have MODE 6 DATA checked which are the parameters that the PCM (Engine Computer) monitors while the engine is running. It is very possible to have a miss fire and no check engine light or trouble code. If the miss fire is not severe enough, the PCM will not set a trouble code, but can store what is called a pending DTC which is a trouble code that has not happened enough to set a trouble code/DTC. Some independent shops have scan tools that can monitor MODE 6 DATA. But the best place to have this checked is a dealership. They have the proper computer that can monitor the MODE 6 DATA. Otherwise you are only guessing.Injectors and wiring harnesses will not miss under a load. Spark plugs and the coils will.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Number 6 is completely dead gonna try leak down test to check for burnt valve
Sorry I have ben out of town for training for my dealership. Please let me know f you need any more help.