Matt C.
Matt C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Automotive Technician

Rich. I have a 2008 Navigator and the tailgate will open ok

Customer Question

Rich. I have a 2008 Navigator and the tailgate will open ok but it wants to close on its own.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It will open with the Fob like I said it will open then while iam getting things out of the back it starts closing again. I can nudge it and it will go back up only to come back down again.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lincoln Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Matt C. replied 6 months ago.
Hello. I would like to assist you with this concern. This is typically caused by worn out lift supports (the little shocks on the side). Have you tried replacing them. You can verify that this is the problem by opening the liftgate and holding it up when it is fully open and see if it still tries to close while holding up on it.
Expert:  Matt C. replied 6 months ago.
I should say that the test I just told you to do only applies for power liftgates. If I am correct, that model was not offered with a power liftgate.You would be able to just replace those two lift supports and your problem will be solved.Please don't forget to rate my service. You can always return to this thread if you have anymore questions or concerns about this.