EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician
Experience:  ASE, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel, Kia Professional Elite
34559540

2003 lincoln town car. Drove it into shop now it only grinds

Customer Question

2003 lincoln town car. Drove it into shop now it only grinds when you turn the key
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Sounds like you need to remove the starter and inspect it and also inspect the teeth on the flywheel. They may be stripped out. Can you do this and let me know the results?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just put a new starter on no change
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
grinds very loud and turns extremely slow
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

What about the teeth on the flywheel?

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Did you look at the teeth on the flywheel with a mirror?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well i put a socket on end of crankshaft and moved it no change
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i can do that realquick for you
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I have seen the flywheel crack in a circle around the bolts and the outer ring spins and grinds. If the flywheel is ok though, you should make sure you have a good battery positive and ground connection. You could try jumping the starter with a jump pack and see if the engine turns over faster.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
already cleaned the terminals flywheel is fine my battery tester sa;ys batter;y is good j;ust to be sure i switched it with; another batter;y solved the problem, new batter;y ordered am i in line for a discount for your services let me know and thank you for the quick attention how can i req;uest you in the future dave
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I do not deal with customer payments but I do not think there is a discount unless you have a subscription. Please rate my service today and to reach me in the future you can attention me in your question. Thank you.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question and allowing me to help. Please rate my service to you, let me know if you have any more questions and have a great day.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.