Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech

I own a 2001 Lincoln Towncar. Just bought it. The car is

Customer Question

I own a 2001 Lincoln Towncar. Just bought it. The car is great except when I take it in the highway. It start to vibrate at just 62 mph. This is a nuisance vibration that increases as the speed goes up.
The tires are almost new. The car has only 84 k miles.
I have done the alignment; the car drives straight. The also balance all tires and did a front to rear tires rotation. The vibration problem persists.
The car had pneumatic suspension that got damage, the previous owner changed to regular shock absorbs and the pneumatic switch is OFF. What could be the source of this high speed vibration?
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Ronnie replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question, The expert you have requested in not online at the moment , My name is ***** ***** I will help you with this, sorry for the delay.

When you start feeling the vibration are you feeling it in the steering wheel or in the seat ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
In the seats...front and rear.
Expert:  Ronnie replied 7 months ago.

In most case if its coming from the front you will feel it in the steering wheel, are you feeling it in the steering wheel?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Please write your answer, I read English better than I speak. And, the vibration is felt in the seats, not in the steering. It is like a buzz.
Expert:  Ronnie replied 7 months ago.

I will write my answer but I needed this information first. If your feeling it in the seat and not the steering wheel then its coming from the rear and if you are sure you do not have a bad tire and or a bent rim in the rear then you are very likely dealing with a bad drive line. If in fact that is the cases I would consider having the U joints checked and if they check okay then have the drive shaft balanced. You can also have the tires and rims checked by having a road force balance done.

Expert:  Ronnie replied 7 months ago.

I would start first with having a road force balance done and then if the vibration is still there consider haring the drive line balanced.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks. Road forced balance first. Then U joints check. The drive balance if the problem was still ocurring. It makes sense.
Expert:  Ronnie replied 7 months ago.

Lets do the road force balance first to at least rule out a bad rim, a bad rim will not usually show up with a normal balance.

Expert:  Ronnie replied 7 months ago.

Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.