A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
14865528

Eaton I have a Lincoln MKX 2011 @82000 miles. About a month

Customer Question

Eaton I have a Lincoln MKX 2011 @82000 miles. About a month ago I was driving and I lost all power the car went into limp mode and I pulled over to the side of the road. I restarted the car and it ran fine. Today we drove to dinner and on the way home this problem reoccurred at least 8 times. Twice on the freeway. It is very scary and very dangerous. I was able to get it home as I had my son meet me and follow me home.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: See above
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lincoln Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

When this happens, when you turn the key off and restart the engine, does it run ok?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But tonight it would only run for a couple of miles. And the Check engine light came on
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

When it happens, do you have no gas response when you step on the gas pedal and does the instrument cluster state fail safe mode?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am guessing it through a code. I read on line that a number of 2011 Ford Edge cars had similar problems.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

It may be the electronic throttle body going bad. If you can possibly get the trouble code from the PCM (Engine Computer), it will narrow down the cause. ANy auto parts store will do this for free if you do not have a code reader.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No gas response. I'm not sure about the fail safe mode. I don't think so
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have to shut car off to get gas to respond
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any other thoughts? Is it just hitting a bad spot?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Throttle body is the problem. Have seen this way too many times. Get the throttle body replaced and clear all the trouble codes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the throttle body?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you !
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Replace the complete throttle body assembly. It is all electronic with a sensor on one side and an electrical motor on the other. It is mounted on top of the engine where the rubber hose from the air filter box connects to the engine.