EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician
Experience:  ASE, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel, Kia Professional Elite
34559540

I have a 2009 lincoln mks. I normally leave my headlights in

Customer Question

i have a 2009 lincoln mks. I normally leave my headlights in the auto position. The light on the drivers side will come on but then will go off while I'm driving.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Lincoln. The Lincoln Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Like I said I normally leave my headlamps in the auto position so I don't have to worry about turning them on when night falls. The right light works just fine but I find that the left headlight shuts off periodically. It happens when I'm driving. The only way I know when it happens is when I pull up to a storefront window and I can tell by the reflection that it is off
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes if possible. i have someone who is looking at it right now but they are saying they can't duplicate the error
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: the only thing i normally do is turn the switch for the lights to the right and then back to auto and it comes back on. Like I said I have someone looking at it but they can't seem to reproduce the error
JA: Is there anything else the Lincoln Mechanic should be aware of about your Lincoln?
Customer: someone backed into my car and the headlamp was replaced....like I said it comes on when I turn on the car but in the course of driving it periodically just goes off
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Lincoln Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lincoln Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 9 months ago.

Hi. The interior fuse panel in your car, the (smart junction box) receives a ground signal from the headlamp switch and then sends power to the headlamps.

There is an internal transistor in the SJB that commonly fails when it gets warm. Replacement of the SJB will fix this. But it is also possible that the ballast in the headlamp is going bad. But if your mechanic wants to verify this to be sure, he should be checking for power on the Brown/Blue wire at the left headlamp when the concern is happening. This would indicate if the sjb is outputting power to the headlamp or not. Do you think this is something your mechanic can check for you?

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for viewing my response on 3/8/2016 at 7:06:52 PM 5 day(s) ago. Respond to Let me know if you have more questions on this or if you have had the SJB checked. And also please rate my service to you. Thank you.