Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

Rough ilde is putting it lightly! 2008 lt.i replaced both

Customer Question

Rough ilde is putting it lightly! 2008 mark lt.i replaced both vct s and both camshaft position sensor s ! Still at low idle goes to knocking until raise the idleway up or shift into neutral. Then returns to normal smooth sounding motor... What to do now? Help...please
JA: My old Jeep sounds like a steam radiator sometimes. It must be old age. The Lincoln Mechanic will know what your noise means and what to do about it. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I have mechanic but he is unsure where to proceed
JA: Is there anything else the Lincoln Mechanic should be aware of about your Lincoln?
Customer: No, has been great until oil change one week ago
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lincoln Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 9 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

1. At operating temp what is the idle speed in park and drive?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
1000-1200

Do you own a oil pressure gauge so we can check the pressure at both heads?

Have you confirmed the noise is coming from the front of the engine?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
coming from the front . sounds likd the motor is starving for oil, but only st low idle or in reverse gear

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My mechanic does but that would be tomorrow. I know that pressure is good because it purrs like a kitten all the rest of the time. And just clicks to this low idle noise and does not do it even at low idle all of the time !

Thanks, ***** ***** need to check the block and both heads oil pressure to see if there is a restriction in the heads in the oil flow ports starving the variable cam timing components, timing chain tensioners, and lash adjusters. The idle should be around 750-800 so the adjustable timing is not operating correct causing the idle speed to be to high. Once the oil pressure test is done we will then know if the heads need to be taken apart to check the oil ports and if the chain guides and tensioners need replaced.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Hello again Chris here,

1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.

2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.

3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.

4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help.

Thanks Chris