Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Compass Data Error" '08 Lincoln MKX. This is the message I

Customer Question

Compass Data Error" '08 Lincoln MKX. This is the message I get each time I go for an oil change or had to buy a new battery. It has something to do with the mechanics disconnecting the battery. I've gone in to have them correct this, but this time they tell me I need more work done or a replacement to get it fixed????
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Are they disconnecting the battery every time when you see this message or when they work on it when this message occurs?

Have you tried to calibrate the compass at all?

If not try this procedure and see if this works.If this works and the fault does not come back your good to go from here but if the fault does come back then it will need diagnosed to locate and correct this issue here.I have seen the compass fail internally needing replaced but you may just need to calibrate it to correct this here.They may just be trying to sell work that isnt needed here.

COMPASS CALIBRATION 1. NOTE: For optimum calibration, drive to an open, level location away from large metallic objects or structures. Switch off all non-essential electrical accessories (rear window defrost, heater, A/C, map lamps, wipers, etc.) and make sure all doors are closed. Start the vehicle. 2. Press the RESET button until RESET FOR CAL is displayed in the message center display. 3. NOTE: This will take up to 3 circles to complete calibration Slowly drive the vehicle in a circle at no more than 5 km/h (3 mph) until CIRCLE SLOWLY TO CALIBRATE changes to CALIBRATION COMPLETE in the message center. 4. The compass is now calibrated.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete