Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

2008 Lincoln navigator howling like it under the car goes

Customer Question

2008 Lincoln navigator howling like it under the car goes away when u put in reverse in in drive while driving it it there smell like a burning smell only has 90,000 on her
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 9 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

1. So its howling in drive gear only or all gears except reverse?
  2. I can not tell from your response does this occur at idle or while driving?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
its howling in drive gear only or all gears except reverse?all gear beside reverse it start out of no were i started it up and it started this
I can not tell from your response does this occur at idle or while driving? both

Thanks, ***** ***** from outside the vehicle listened around to see where the noise appears the loudest?

Like under the vehicle or under the hood for example?

Does howling noise describe it best?

Is it effecting the vehicle operation?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
(the sound appears to be coming from down underneath the motor/tranny area, when its in park you hear the whinning sound. when it goes in reverese and drive goes away.)Like under the vehicle or under the hood for example?(under the motor area) maybe more towards the passenger side underneath)Does howling noise describe it best?
(yes, its a hawling sound best describes it, it almost reminds me of power steering sound, but its not that)Is it effecting the vehicle operation?it does not appear so, besides the funny burning smell )

Thanks for the details. I believe the noise is coming from the transmission or transmission area. Confirm the transmission mount and the surrounding exhaust mounts are good. If so then get it on a rack so you can listen to the trans pan. Within the trans the noise can come from a front pump failure or a concern with the valve body.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
would low trans fluid cause it

If low fluid were to blame then the damage as a result from it has already been done. Low fluid alone can not create this noise.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
would a code reader read the code or would a bad pump cause a code

With no symptoms, no codes would be stored in this event.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i see so i will call u tomorrow want me to smell the fluid in the trans to see what it smell like

I see no reason to smell the fluid since I do not believe there is clutch material burnt which is what would cause a odor in the fluid.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what would cause the burning smell

The age of fluid can cause it to appear to have a burnt odor. If trans oil is burnt it will no longer be ruby red. It will be brownish or blackish and smell kind of like fish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
oh im talking about u can smell something burning when it making that noise

What does it smell like, oil, wiring or something else?

Can you get under the vehicle to see if you can source the origin of the noise and odor?

Since both the noise and odor occur together can you pay attention to the air suspension compressor.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it smell something hot like hot wire i will go under the car in a few to check it out

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok after listen to it again i hear it very load on the driver side

It is not the air suspension compressor then, its on the passenger side behind the front bumper. Can you feel around while its occurring to see if you an feel the source of this noise and odor. The compressor and transmission are the only things that would be effected only occurring in forward gears based on all you have told me.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i put it in gear it still there but not as load like in park

Have some one help, holding it in drive while you feel around with your hands and ears trying to find the source.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
k

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok so i found out were it coming from it the high hvac inlet heat water hose that were the sound coming from

Its coming from the heater core hose connected to the engine and firewall?

If that is the case and its still effected by drive and reverse use then I would check the engine and trouns mounts to see if the engine is flexing over in drive excessive.

However that does not explain the electrical odor.

Hello again Chris here,

1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.

2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.

3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.

4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help.

Thanks Chris

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 months ago.

Hello again Chris here,

Thanks Chris