Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Lincoln_vehicle_mechanic
20625509

I had a CD stuff in my radio and I tried to get it out but I

Customer Question

I had a CD stuff in my radio and I tried to get it out but I couldn't. Now my radio doesn't work properly. It just comes on when it wants to and I have to boost my car everyday. I have a brand new battery. Do you know what could be wrong. Another thing when the car is dead all lights come on.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Did you finally get that cd out?

What lights come on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No CD is still in the CD compartment. All lights, headlights and dome lights on the inside.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If there isn't a small access hole to shove in something thin like a paper clip and eject that cd, try removing the cd fuse for 10 minutes then putting it back in and try ejecting the cd with the eject button on the cd player. if that don't work, then remove the cd player and take it apart and remove the cd and find out why it wouldn't eject. Maybe something else got shoved in with it, maybe something broke inside or maybe the cd was just inserted upside down.

Now, about the lights. I assume when you say the car is dead you mean the battery is low on charge so when the lights do come on they are dim?

Or do you mean the lights coming on is what drains the battery?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Somethings draining the battery down because my car does not crank
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Either something was left on or something is draining the battery. The best way to find out if first of all charge the battery overnite at 4 amps. Then with the negative battery terminal unhooked, place an ammeter inline between the cable end and the battery post with the negative test lead on the negative post and the positive test lead on the disconnected negative battery cable end. Place the ammeter on dc amps scale and with everything off, the reading should be no more than 50 mA. That's 0.050 amp. You may have to wait 30 minutes or so until the modules go to sleep, but after they do and the drain is over 50 mA, that is too much. Then start pulling the fuses one at a time and leave them out until the drain goes down below 50mA. Hook back up the battery and move the ammeter into the fuse socket that had the drain. Then refer to a wiring diagram and see if there are any branches on that fuse's circuit and then start disconnecting each fuse or item on that circuit until the drain is lower than 50 mA. Then when you narrow down what is causing the drain, inspect the wiring and/or part and see if it actually works, so put the fuse back in for now and see if everything on that circuit works.

Once you do determine which fuse it is if you need a wiring diagram, let me know which fuse it is and the ammeter reading.

Then using a voltmeter or 12 volt test light test the wiring to the affected part to see where it looses voltage and then either repair or replace the wire/part if it is indeed a faulty part shorted out.