Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 2006 Lincoln LS, 3.9L. In the morning when I start

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Lincoln LS, 3.9L. In the morning when I start the car I get a loud clicking noise that seems to be coming from behind (to the engine side, not to the rear) the right front tire. It goes away after about 15-30 seconds. Is there a blend door in that area that could be bad? Any ideas? Thanks.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the heater or ac acting up at all like not switching from hot to cold or different mode outputs when this occurs here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Only does it upon start up. Once it's done it's thing for 15 seconds or so, it doesn't do it again. I can switch from heat to AC and or change fan speeds and or air positions and it doesn't matter it doesn't do it again after its initial clicking.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,this does sound like a fault with one of the heater box actuators clicking.This occurs when it doesnt know its stop positions when it has an internal electrical fault within it.In some cases you can have the fault codes checked using a scan tool that can communicate with all computers especially the heater/ac control on the dash to see what codes are set.Once this has been done if there is a code set for a particular actuator this is usually the actuator needing replaced.The noise would have to be coming from inside the dash area if it is an actuator.

The fresh air/recirculation actuator is one that is closest to the area you have described the noise coming from.In some cases you may have to examine the actuators when the noise is actually occuring to locate the one at fault needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete