Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

I have Lincoln Towncar Signature (206K miles) but is missing

Customer Question

I have Lincoln Towncar Signature (206K miles) but is missing from time to time and actually running roughly and hesitates when you give more gas.
When running good - no problem. We had replaced manifold,changed spark plugs but had some water or condensation in one of them. Someone mentioned there was some problems with the vapor coils. Can a bad catalytic converter cause car to do this?
Thanks in advance for your advise.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Mat replied 1 year ago.

Hi I would like to help you out. The symptoms that you are describing are that of a weak ignition coil. Each spark plug has its own coil on top of it. When they get weak they break down, run rough and cause misfires under light acceleration when giving it more gas. If the misfire is bad enough the check engine light will come on. You can check codes to identify the faulty coil. If there is no codes you can view mode 6 data to view the affected cylinder. A bad catalytic converter will not cause these symptoms.