Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

I have a 2000 lincoln contiental just put a tranamission in

Customer Question

I have a 2000 lincoln contiental just put a tranamission in it.Car started shifting good when i first put it in but when i parked it and tryed to drive it again it would shift.Someone esle said to buy a throttle postion senor amd ot still didnt shift.Now the only thing left is the computer.What do u think
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 10 months ago.

Helo I'm Reggie and would like to help you fix this. The transmission you installed was it new, used, or reman? Have you pulled the codes from the pcm? We don't want to replace any parts unnecessarily. Firing the parts cannon gets expensive. So let's start by checking for codes.

Tell me exactly what the transmission is doing now, is it stuck in one gear will it shift at all? Is it slipping

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I brought the transmisson from Clay Warford Auto Salvage in Memphis,Tn.Its a used trans.When it was first put in it shifted good but when i parked it and tryed to drive it again it wouldnt shift at all.Got the car rewired because there was wires to were touching so i got that rewired.It wont shift at all

When was it rewired prior to it shifting or has it shifted since the wiring repair and how extensive was this wiring damage was it limited to trans area? Do you have a code reader

What I'd like to do is check for codes look at a few pieces of data, and if that checks out, it may be a stuck valve in the valve body, if so I have a trick I can showyou to fix that. It happens alot with ford's used trans

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It was rewired prior to putting transmission in the car.The plug was replaced and a new one was put on
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Whats the trick

Okay its dangerous but it works perfect and has got me out of many a jamb. Get in the car and find you a deserted parking lot or road while driving, if its stuck in first just ease alone say 15 20 mph while driving take your foot off the gas and take the gear shifter shift out of drive briefly into neutral and then slowly put it in reverse, yes while driving but here is the key dont allow it to go into reverse. You want to go back to drive before it engages reverse. If you can pull this off what it does is back flushes the valves better than any machine or flush can do if your problem is a stuck valve it will get it. About a week ago we put a used trans in a ford truck it worked perfect in the truck we pulled it out of, didnt do nothing but remove and install. It would not come out of first I done the back flush and customer been driving it since. Basically you want to shift out of drive into reverse but back into drive before the actual shift occurs. Because if it went into reverse it would not be good.