Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Lincoln_vehicle_mechanic
20625509

My 2000 Lincoln TC Cartier has recently developed stiff

Customer Question

My 2000 Lincoln TC Cartier has recently developed stiff steering. 53K. The first incident was brief and happened only once: the power seemed to cut in and out. The second incident was also brief and happened only once: as I backed out of a parking space there was no power steering. Since then the power steering has been stiff all the time. The fluid was replaced and then the pump was replaced without solving the problem.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Do you know if this has the Electronic Variable Orifice (EVO) System?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I assume it does, so first of all check Fuse 8 (10A) in the fuse junction panel and Fuse 17 (10A) in the power distribution box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot provide any info on the car since it is tied up in a Ford dealer's service dept. I am just looking for things I can suggest to their mechanics.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

have the codes retrieved from the Rear Air Suspension Control Module.

Let me know what they are but if one is C1897, follow this test procedure, PINPOINT TEST C: DTC C1897 — STEERING VAPS II CIRCUIT LOOP FAILURE

It starts on page 21,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll pass this on to the mechanics
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

JustAnswer® is not a free service. I work hard to make sure you're satisfied with my service and I only get credit for my answers based on your rating. Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.