HDGene
HDGene, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 year ASE Master Technician & Advanced Drivability L1 Certified Ford Senior Master Technician
285738

My 2002 navigator over heated and now turns over but wont

Customer Question

Customer: my 2002 navigator over heated and now turns over but wont start
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I think it is the factory anti theft system
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Lincoln Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: okay if I get the right answer
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Hello, did you run the vehicle with it overheating until it shut down on its own? Have you made any repairs for it to no longer overheat? Does it crank over normal? Does the red THEFT lamp flash fast when you turn the key to on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it been repaired from the over heating and the theft light comes on and blinks more ore less continuesly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with the key on
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

The light is supposed to blink with the key out of the ignition, when you turn the key to on it should stay on steady for a few seconds then go out if it reads the key properly.If it is blinking fat when turning on the key there is a system fault with the PATS system, if you have another programmed key you can try using it to start. The dealer or a local locksmith can diagnose the issue with the pats system. Sometimes its just a defective key,other times an issue with the transponder. Worse case, an issue with the PATS module. You need 2 keys to program to the vehicle and software to do so. If you only have one key i would have 2 new keys cut by a locksmith that can come to you and see if it will program to the vehicle

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is blinking regular key off and goes sold for a sew seconds when the key turns on but still wont start turns over?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a second key I will try back in a few
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

If it stays on solid a few seconds and turns off then the pats system is working and not the issue of your no crank or no start

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
second key did not work either turns over no start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the vehicle was towed and I checked the fuel pump reset it seems to be down in the switch can not push any further?
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Ok so the pats system appears to be working and the engine cranks but doesnt start, what did you have to repair for the overheating issue, has it ran since it overheated? You didnt say if you ran the engine until it shut down when it did overheat. Does the check engine light come on when the key is turned to on? Do you have fuel pressure, spark and injector pulse? Have you had it checked for codes with a scan tool? Does the check engine light turn off when the engine is cranking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the rear heater core was leaking by passed it. it died over heated and has not started since. the service engine soon comes on when turned on but does not light when cranking over no check for codes sitting in drive way. no professional service
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
don't know how to check the rest of your ? did on a 1970 or earlier car but not anymore lol!
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

If the engine shut down it may have lost compression or warped a head from the overheat etc. Does the engine sound like it cranks over normally or does it drag or hiccup/sound like it misses a beat when cranking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cranks over strong no issues. no water in oil all looks normal
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Then you need to check for fuel pressure at the rail, if it has a service port on the fuel rail on the right hand side of the intake manifold remove the cap and depress the schraider and see if it has a strong burst of fuel when you depress it, see if it will run for a few seconds if you spray some carb cleaner into the throttle body.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do I need to turn it on ?
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Cycle the key to on, if the fuel pump is working it will run the fuel pump for a few seconds and prime the fuel rail then check for fuel pressure at the rail, see if it will run with carb cleaner sprayed into the intake, if it does you have spark and either no fuel pressure or no injector pulse to fire the injectors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay i guess i have to take off all the air filter and related covers to see the rail and access it? and the check the other stuff you asked can we pick it up tomorrow?
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Yup, not a problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get back to you tomorrow thanks
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Ok just respond to this question and ill be notified

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is the thing on th fuel rail on 2003 navigator so i can test preasure fuel rail
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Ok you said 02, on an 03 it might not have a schraider valve. It uses a fuel rail pressure sensor. You can disconnect the fuel filter real line and cycle the key to on to check for fuel presure

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry an 02 it looks to be getting fuel thru the line also squirted gas in while cranking no fire just cranks
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Ok, So you have fuel pressure, need to verify if you have spark and injector pulse since it wont run with carb cleaner.Pull out a coil and a spark plug and lay it on top of the engine and see if you have spark at the end of the plug.Injector pulse would need to be checked with a test light or noid light

Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a INNOVA brand equus 3120 model diagnoses instrument will it help me pin point any problems??? ..... I willl test the injector pulse, but I think its ignition spark.;;;; whats the next thing to do if I have no spark ,,,,,,,
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

If you have no spark, verify if you have no injector pulse, this would indicate a loss of rpm signal from an issue with the crank sensor rpm signal to the pcm. The scan tool should be able to pull memory codes for the pcm if stored and a key on engine off on demand test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
too check the pulse can I use a test light poke the wire that connects to one of the injectors and ground the other end have some one turn ovefr the engine as if too start then look for flash on test light ?>?? I hooked up the diog ... itr said... p1000 .&.. test not complete
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Yes but you dont have to poke through the wire. disconnect an injector, one side will have battery voltage constantly, the other is the ground pulse from the PCM. Hook up the test light to the positive side of the battery and test the ground side, if its getting an rpm signal the test light will pulse while cranking with a coil driver ground signal present

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the diog was p0232 fuel pump secondary circuit high
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Ok so its setting a fuel pump code, but you just said it has a P1000 code? You had strong fuel pressure when you disconnected the fuel filter line?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I never dis connected the fuel line im tryin too get the injector plug off its really cramped pain in the ass . I guess its pretty important I get the injector pulse tested right ?
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Well its more important to verify you have fuel pressure that you told me you did if you have a code for the fuel pump.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what next I test the preasure at rail ? Is there some thing common that's been happening too other navigators and what is the most common problem,, not that i would assume what is most common is my navigators problem
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

We already discussed this so I am going to opt out and allow another expert to assist you.