Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Lincoln_vehicle_mechanic
20625509

I have water puddling in the REAR passenger floor of my 2005

Customer Question

Customer: I have water puddling in the REAR passenger floor of my 2005 Lincoln Town Car. I first noticed it following a lot of rainy days, but after getting in dried out, it happened again on a very clear and dry day. There is never any water leaking into the front passenger or drivers side. Could it be the A/C drain? Could it have anything to do with the heater?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm sure your initial response is computer generated, but I'll give you as much more detail as possible. I drive my car less than a few miles on a clear and dry day and the rear passenger floor board is soaked with water. There is no water anywhere else in the car. I vacuum it with my wet dry then put a dehumidifier in the car for a day to completely dry it out. I drive it again, and more water...same story.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Lincoln Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: OK
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Pop the trunk and look for water in there. No, I don't think it's water from either the ac drain or the heater, but just a simple question why would you be using both ac and the heater? Anyhow, I think the water is still there after cleaning it up and driving and hitting the brakes makes it slosh around and if it's in the trunk when you hit the brakes it is making it through to the rear drivers floor. It's worth a look.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I live in Georgia and it has been in the mid 70's for the past week, now it is in the 30-40's thus the use of both AC and heat. I had previously taken everything out of the trunk down to the metal pan to check for water. Nothing there, yet it ends up in the back floor pan.
Question: You said "I think the water is still there after cleaning it up", you think the water is still where? How is "it' getting "there"?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Ok, check the trunk again on the passenger side of the trunk if there is a spot that dips way down, like where the quarter panel is, usually on most cars they can fill up with water.

Other than that, I honestly have no idea where the water is coming from.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK,I'll go check, but what would cause water to get in that area? Should I be looking for a clogged drain port or something?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

I have one more suggestion although I don't know what could possibly be under there and that is remove the rear Footwell Duct. I see the procedure in the climate control section but honestly I don't know why it is there so it might be beneficial to at last look under it and see if there is water in it.

Here are the instructions for removing it,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

And if you decide to do it, the instructions for removing the front seat.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just pulled the spare tire from the trunk and checked the well. No water at all and a clean, dry and open drain if water was to get in there.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will proceed with the other suggestion.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

ok, I don't know what else to say.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Did you find any water under that footwell duct?