Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Lincoln Technician
Experience:  Lincoln Senior Master
9600325

2006 Navigator. Cranks and won't start sometimes 10-20

Customer Question

2006 Navigator. Cranks and won't start sometimes 10-20 times. Sometime sputters. Then it will fire up. I have changed fuel pump and module by the spare tire. Very frustrated.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

I've had several of these with intermittent poor connections at the inertia fuel pump cutoff switch. Sometimes wiggling the connector at the base of the switch during the no start will cause the engine to start, verifying the issue is with the connector. Usually I have a hard time getting the concern to act up enough to verify the connector is the issue and I just end up replacing the switch and splicing in a new connector. The connector pigtail and switch is available through the dealer, I don't know where else you could purchase a connector. The cutoff switch is located in the drivers side rear cargo area.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

I have also seen fuel pump relays fail in the interior fuse box. The relay is integrated into the fuse box and is not replaceable. If failing the interior fuse box would need to be replaced. When the engine won't start, tap on the fusebox with your hand while cranking the engine and see if it starts. Usually when the relay is failing it will act up with the engine running, causing lack of power and stalling along with difficult restarts. I've never seen one fail just when starting and usually the vehicle needs to be fully hot before they act up.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 10 months ago.

Hello again,

If you need further assistance please feel free to reply and we can continue. Otherwise please take a moment to rate my answer as you see fit. After rating, the thread is still available should you need further assistance.

Thanks,

Kenny Z

Hello again,

If you need further assistance please feel free to reply and we can continue. Otherwise please take a moment to rate my answer as you see fit. After rating, the thread is still available should you need further assistance. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Thanks,

Kenny Z