Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

Installed new battery and now have no power

Customer Question

Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Do the headlights and dome lights work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No there is no power except the red blinking light which I assume is the anti theft light
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

So what is the battery voltage? And what is the voltage on the fuses under the hood? It sounds like you might just have a bad connection or a blown fuse.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the battery with the same type that came stock. Unsure of the voltage. There doesn't appear to be any fuses under the hood
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

On this vehicle, it appears the central junction box is located on the inside of the vehicle. I have attached a pic. Check all of those fuses in there. Also, check the fusible links under the hood. I have also uploaded a picture.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not seeing any fuses under the hood and all fuses in the panel box seemed fine
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then check for power on the fuses and check the fusible links

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not getting any reading to the fuses inside the vehicle at all. Do the fusible links have a fuse in them? Because they are well wrapped I'm guessing from the manufacturer
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

YES, you will have to check power going in and coming out of the fusible links. Just follow the main positive cable from the battery onwards checking for voltage on various points to see where you are losing voltage.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not getting any readings. I will have to wait til the morning to check to see if the battery is faulty
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok, sounds good.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has not been a happy new year
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Stick with me and we will get to the bottom of the problem.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Here is a wiring diagram for your power distribution on your vehicle spread over three pages. It real easy. Just follow the voltage from the battery down through all of the circuits. Start checking in fandom places to see where you are loosing voltage and then work your way bad or forward in the circuit as needed. You will see the battery in the upper left corner of the first diagram. Follow it from there to the ignition switch. Check power in and out of the ignition switch with the key on to see where the voltage lose occurs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are the chances the battery I bought is defective. I disconnected the negative terminal and used a circuit tester on the terminal to the negative post and I get nothing. Tried again same thing with the positive side as well and nothing
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

A bad battery or a battery that does not have a charge on it is very possible. What is the battery voltage at?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took it in to an auto parts store and they got a reading of 5v. I should of still seen something like dash lights but I left it there to charge for a few hrs and see if it's a cell problem or if the charge works. Crazy because it was brand new but I don't know how long it was sitting on a shelf for
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Not only it can be low on voltage (low on a charge), but then the battery can be bad and drop below 2 or 3 volts when there is actually a load on the battery.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

That is why we need to check battery voltage WHEN TURNING THE KEY TO THE CRANK POSITION with the battery installed.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Maybe we can speak on the phone if your willing to do so?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm good for now. Waiting on results from the charge on the battery. Plus I'm not paying another 18 bucks for no reason
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok, no problem. Keep me posted.