john aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase certified imac cerified
6149662

Epb light remains on when car is in drive. 2006 Lincoln LS

Customer Question

epb light remains on when car is in drive.
2006 Lincoln LS Premium with 78,000 miles.
Is this problem significant or something to be concerned about.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  john aka eauto replied 1 year ago.

Hi SHORTWRECKERMAN,

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today with your question.

I would start with a visual inspection of the parking brake system and the components as well as check the master cylinder fluid level. Illumination of the light after releasing the parking brake indicates low brake fluid level and the brake system should be inspected, most likely the pads have worn out causing the fluid level to drop, therefore setting off the light.

Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) Operation

Pull the parking brake switch upward to engage the parking brake. Release the switch, and it returns to the neutral position. To release the parking brake, make sure the ignition is turned to ON, press the brake pedal, then push the parking brake switch down. The instrument cluster BRAKE warning lamp illuminates and remains illuminated until the parking brake is released.

The electronic parking brake (EPB) will automatically release when the gearshift lever is moved from P (Park) with the ignition ON. The EPB also disengages if a gear is selected and the accelerator pedal is pressed. The EPB will not release when the release switch is activated. If the battery is disconnected, the EPB system must be reset; the vehicle message center will display "APPLY PARK BRAKE" or "APPLY ((P))".

Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) Resetting

NOTE: The electronic parking brake (EPB) can be released after the battery is reconnected.

The electronic parking brake (EPB) system must be reset whenever the battery has been disconnected or has been in a state of discharge.

To reset the EPB system, follow the steps:

1. Place gearshift selector in the park (P) position.
  2. Turn the ignition switch ON.
  3. Press the brake pedal and at the same time pull on the EPB switch.
  4. Then release the EPB switch. To release the EPB switch, push on the EPB switch while depressing the brake pedal.