Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech
7276279

I have a 97 towncar and my problem is the fuel pump

Customer Question

Customer: I have a 97 towncar and my problem is the fuel pump continues to run with the car turned off.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I know its the fuel pump as I can hear it running and will stop if I trip the inertia switch OR if I pull fuse #16 under dash The car will run and will stop if I trip the inertia or pull the fuel pump relay OR fuel pump fuse under the hood. I have replaced the PCM already.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Lincoln Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Ronnie replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

The most common cause for the pump to run with the key off is in most cases caused by a sticking Fuel pump relay. The place to start is to try removing the relay while the problem is occurring. The relay is located in the under hood fuse panel on the driver side. Try smacking the fuse panel and see if the pump stops running, if it dose then that usually means its sticking and needs to be replaced. See the location in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view the link.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/FP%20relay%20Dec%2019.pdf

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have replaced Relay With car running I can remove the relay and the car continues to run if the fuse # ***** is in the fuse box which is for the brake lights. If this fuse is removed and car is running and I remove relay the car will stop
Expert:  Ronnie replied 11 months ago.

Are you sure you replace the right relay, it should shut off with the relay removed. There are 3 relays in the box.

Expert:  Ronnie replied 11 months ago.

Fuse #16 is not the fuel pump relay, it controls the break pressure switch as well as the tun signals, what happens if you unplug the break pressure switch on the master cylinder?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can remove all 3 relays and the Fuel pump fuse and disconnect the oil pressure switch and the pump continues to run with the car turned off the pump it will only stop if I remove the fuse for the brake lights #16
Expert:  Ronnie replied 11 months ago.

Fuse #16 is not the fuel pump fuse its the break pressure switch as well as the turn signals, what happens if you unplug the break pressure switch that mounts on the master cylinder.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have unplugged both the break pressure switch and the brake pedal switch and the pump continues to run with that fuse in
Expert:  Ronnie replied 11 months ago.

Okay what happens if you unplug the computer?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just unplugged the PCM (new) and the pump runs when I put the fuse in
Expert:  Ronnie replied 11 months ago.

Okay then the next step is check to make sure nobody has connected the fuel pump prime connector (a 2-terminal connector on the driver side fender apron with a Light Blue/Orange wire and a Dark Green/Yellow wire, behind the windshield washer bottle). If the wires are not connected together at the fuel pump prime connector, the Dark Green/Yellow wire will need to be traced for a short to power between the fuel pump relay and the fuel pump.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will this wire go thru any other component or will it go from the relay to the inertia or to the pump?
Expert:  Ronnie replied 11 months ago.

The Green/yellow wire run from the relay to the inertia switch where it changes to pink/black to the pump. You have to be shorted to power from the relay to the inertia switch.

Expert:  Ronnie replied 11 months ago.

You may save your self a lot of head ache by cutting the green/yellow wire at the relay and the inertia switch and run a new wire from the relay to the inertia switch.