Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master certified, 30 years experience. Auto troubleshooting, electrical , ABS, SRS, EFI system
2947720

Had a Georgia vehicle inspection about 2 months ago 2010 MKX

Customer Question

Had a Georgia vehicle inspection about 2 months ago for a 2010 MKX with 90,000 miles. About 1 week after the inspection, my gas cap light went on. After 7 weeks of driving it has not gone off. Could the issue be related to the inspection process?
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

Most likely not anything to do with the inspection. It is possible that the cap is not sealing, (bad cap) or that there is a (small) leak in the EVAP system.

.

Check Fuel Cap Indicator
The check fuel cap indicator is a communications network message sent by the PCM. The PCM sends the message to illuminate the lamp when the strategy determines there is a concern in the EVAP system due to the fuel filler cap or capless fuel tank filler pipe not being sealed correctly. This is detected by the inability to pull vacuum in the fuel tank after a fueling event.

.

In any case, the EVAP system would have to be tested. That does require a scan tool and a smoke machine.

.

I can get the test instructions for it and put it in a PDF file, (it is rather large) and send it to your email address for as little as possible.

.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it, Thanks

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you need anymore on it, thanks