Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech
7276279

2005 Lincoln Aviator- Both heated & cooled seats stopped

Customer Question

2005 Lincoln Aviator- Both heated & cooled seats stopped working. Both switches light for a few seconds then stop working all together until I restart the truck?
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Anytime the seats do not come on and stay on the seat module will in most cases set and store a fault code and or codes, DO you by chance know what the code and or codes are they they cleared?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, they just said they came back and would have to return for further diagnostics.
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

The common cause for both seat to fali can be caused by any of the following,

• Driver Seat Thermo Electric Device(TED) heating element.
  • Passenger Seat Thermo Electric Devise (TED) heating element.
  • Drivers Climate Controlled Seat Module
    Module programming

Since both seats have failed you are likely looking at the module and or its programming being the source of the problem but unfortunately to even begin to know where to start your diagnoses you are going to need to start with scanning the system. If you can get me that fault codes I can direct you from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you recommend a good scanner? I was using a friends from harbor freight, it did pending codes as well. Found I have a vacuum leak, replaced hose, all better. But found no codes on seats. Does that require one of those really expensive computers??
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

You can not retrieve the fault codes with a simple code reader, unfortunately to access the door module you need a fully compatible scanner that can read the data stream as well. This type of scanner can run in the thousands dollars.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No love on that cheap scanner???
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately no, they type of scanner you are going to need is not cheap unfortunately. With out know the fault code anything I suggest would be a guess at best and my first guess is if both seats have failed its likely the Climate control module which is common to fail but there no way to know for sure without having the fault code.