A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
14865528

My 2005 Lincoln Navigator has a funny starting problem. It

Customer Question

My 2005 Lincoln Navigator has a funny starting problem. It sometimes starts the first time, but other times it will only start if I turn the key back to the starting position and try it again a second time. It always starts, but sometimes I have to do it twice. If I turn the key to start on the occasion it requires two tries, it will grind forever and not start on the first try, but will immediately start on the second try.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Is the problem a no crank by the starter or does the engine crank over by the starter but not start?
Just need to clarify the actual problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine cranks over by the starter, but no start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is my question being worked?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I was out of town with my family for he holiday.

It sounds like, from you description, that the fuel pump is the problem, but I would like to make sure. You can either disconnect the fuel line from the engine or disconnect the fuel line to the fuel filter and turn the key on and see if you get a large spray of fuel. When the fuel pump starts to fail, you will have to cycle the key on and off to get the fuel from the fuel tank back to the engine because the pump allows the fuel to drain back to the tank when the engine is turned off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I/my mechanic has already tried this as a potential root cause and its not the problem.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

What all has your mechanic already done so I do not duplicate anything he has already done.