A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
14865528

In i'm writing you due to the fact of my lincoln navigator

Customer Question

hi there my name is Terrance **** in i'm writing you due to the fact of my lincoln navigator locked up me. my theft light flashing rapidly and i called the number of a ford dealership industry in they told me that it has a reset button for the PET theft lock system and its located under neath the dashboard but i dont know what i'm looking for i looked but did not see a button can you please guide me cause i can't take it to the dealer cause it can't move
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The theft light you are talking about, is it in the instrument cluster on the right side in the tach side of the instrument cluster and is it the actual word THEFT?

See the diagram below.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its the word theft in blinking rapidly causing my car not to start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if i can find the reset button that's underneath the dash then i can restart it right away
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Ok. You must have gotten someone at the dealership you called that does not work on the vehicles. If the RED THEFT light is blinking rapidly when you try to start the vehicle, there is no reset button under the dash. Rest buttons were only on aftermarket added on alarm systems. This system you have is called the PATS system, which is the factory Ford system installed on most Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles as a security system. PATS stands for Passive Anti Theft System. Since the light is flashing rapidly, the module has sensed a problem with the security system and the flashing red light is a warning.

How many keys do you have for the Navigator?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have only one key this key opens in lock all my doors i had this truck for 2 years in it just start doing this like yesterday
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Ok. A lot of the time this is caused by a bad key which has a chip in it. There is a sensor ring mounted around the ignition key cylinder on the steering column that transmits the chip ID # ***** the PATS module which checks to make sure the key is programed to the vehicle and then it tells the PCM (Engine Computer) if the vehicle can start or not based on the chip ID #. The system cannot be bypassed. If the PATS module does not see the proper chip ID #, it will not allow the PCM to start the engine preventing vehicle theft. I would first recommend having the vehicle properly scanned for trouble codes in the PATS module, the instrument cluster and the PCM. If the key is bad and causing the problem, the trouble codes will tell us. And if the key is bad, and you only have one key, you will need two new keys to have them programed to the vehicle. A good locksmith can do this for you instead of a dealership.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
basically if i go to a lock smith they can reprogram my key/make a chip for my car to get it driving
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Yes, if the key is the problem.