Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

I have a 2009 Lincoln MKX and this weird thing has happened

Customer Question

Hey Scott, I have a 2009 Lincoln MKX and this weird thing has happened twice. The first time it sounded like I threw a rod or blew up the transmission and a loud whine was coming out of the speakers. Pulled over looked at everything, no warning lights or leaking fluids. Started up and everything seemed to work fine.
The second time, same loud bang, but I noticed that the stereo stopped playing music and the whine, high-pitched was back. No lights, kept driving and turned off the stereo. About ten minutes later the whine faded to almost un noticeable. I hit the stereo button and the whine was back loud as ever. After stopping at Costco, and shopping, when I started the car up all was well. I'm thinking a solenoid kicking off, with not enough power to the amp to run the stereo, but that's a guess.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris and independent contractor that helps customers here.

Normally radio issues and electrical feedback through the speakers is caused by ignition coil concerns and alternator concerns. This bang you get is it just a noise or do you also feel it? Can you make in bang more than once multiple times? What driving condition were you in when this occurred? Can you monitor the battery voltage during these issues, it should be 13-15 volts.

Thanks for letting me assist you. I hope I met all your expectations.

Please make sure to complete the required rating when ready so I am compensated by the website from the site and question fees you have already been charged. If your not able to rate my response, let me know why, so I can help more, and stay in contact with you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chris, it's not normal feedback from coil, it does not modulate with the motor. The BANG "feels" physical, like something hit the car, or we threw a rod. Sounds like it's coming from the front left, close to the dash. I cannot monitor the battery and I cannot make it happen, it just does.The first time I was pulling an empty trailer back from college, going about 70MPH when the bang occurred. No warning lights, and we could not find any damage, fluids or anything that looked wrong. After starting back up, everything worked fine.The second time I was in rush hour traffic, going about 45MPH when the bang occurred. Again, no warning lights, so I kept driving. I turned off the stereo and after about 10 minutes the whine was almost gone. I turned on the stereo and the whine came back full force and stay loud even after turning off the radio, and driving for another 20 minutes. Picked up my wife and when we got in the car, everything was good. No whine, no lights no problems.

Tell me what kind of diagnostic things you can do so I can help you figure this out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a voltmeter and know how to use it. I've rebuilt a couple of engines and a M22 transmission. I have a full set of tools. Since this has happened twice in five years, and once you turn everything off and wait (long enough to look at everything) it all goes back to normal.What do you want me to check?My thought was the solenoid for the amp, kicking off with a bang and then not enough power to the stereo to do anything but whine. Nav still works, car works, only thing not working is sound from stereo. I know the stereo works because the song titles and artists still change and the bars that show tone still move up and down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unless the amp itself is under the dash on the drivers side...

So you think its possible the noise is the amp and sub woofer thumping?

Being there to hear it makes all the difference.

The amp and sub woofer are in the right rear above the wheel well.

Can you monitor the power to any of the outlets or a fuse with your meter hopefully through this event to see if the battery voltage is out of specs?

Earlier you said its not a coil feedback. On cars designed this way, a coil can act up, it bleeds a RF signal that effects the computer, and this is a computer controlled charging system. So a coil even though not misfiring can effect the charging output which greatly can effect stereo and amp operation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I do not think the noise is the subwoofer thumping, that is a totally different noise than something hitting your car or throwing a rod, not even close. I thought that perhaps a solenoid kicking over, if it was mounted to the inner fender or firewall on the drivers side MIGHT kick hard enough to create a noise like something hitting the car. Also, since the stereo was still working, but there was no music coming from the speakers, I guessed maybe the amp, which typically powers the sub and the other speakers, was offline, or not receiving enough power to work. I also figured that since everything goes back to normal after you shut the car off and wait a moment before starting it up again, that whatever "tripped" and made the loud BANG reset, allowing the stereo to power the speakers so you could hear music.Obviously I'm not communicating clearly,

Noises you hear are the hardest for us to diagnose not being in person. When this noise occurs do you get a feeling as well?

Any luck on monitoring the voltage yet?

As mentioned in my first response, I would stay in contact with you. I've noticed you have not rated the post. So I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off.