HDGene
HDGene, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 year ASE Master Technician & Advanced Drivability L1 Certified Ford Senior Master Technician
285738

I Lincoln town car, stuck at parking I can't get it to

Customer Question

I Lincoln town car, stuck at parking I can't get it to drive.
Category: Lincoln
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Hello, what year is the town car, the shifter wont move out of park? Are the brake lights working?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The breake light now is off. When I turn the car is on and if I put the emergency breake its on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I force the shift to neutral manually ?
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Ok I mean the stop lamps, you need to step on the brake to move the shifter from park, if the stop lamps arent working, the shift interlock will not unlock the starter. Depending on the year of the town car you can try the key to the unlock position(not on lighting up the dash) and the shifter may move out of park and start the car in neutral

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2005 Lincoln town car
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Unlock the shifter not starter sorry. Do the stop lamps work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stop lamps your referring to the back light when pressing the breake ?
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Yes, your brake lights, if they dont work when you step on the brake there may be an issue with a broken wire or melted connector to the stop lamp switch on the brake pedal

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They work fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
shifter lock override slot where is this located so I can simply press it to manually move shifter to neutral
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Ok, if the shifter wont move from park either the shift interlock solenoid on the steering column is not working properly. Need to verify it is getting a signal from the brake light switch on the steering column. You might be able to move the shifter out of park by turning the key to the unlock position and rock the steering wheel. There is no overide switch to depress. its up on the column near the shifter linkage

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is rock the steering wheel means ?
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Turn the steering wheel back and forth if the steering lock is bound up where you couldnt freely turn the steering wheel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The wheel is turning fine. But I still can't get the shift to move
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like a bad shift interlock solenoid on the column if the shifter will not move out of park.You can unbolt the solenoid from the steering column to freely move the shifter if it wont come out of park with the key in the unlock position, first position when you tuen the key to on

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How to unbolt the thing I don't yndrstand that part
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't undrestand the unbolt part can you explain
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello are you still there ?
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you would need to disassemble the steering column, remove the steering wheel and airbag, clockspring for the airbag system to gain access:

Removal and Installation

1. WARNING: To avoid accidental deployment and possible personal injury, the backup power supply must be depleted before repairing or replacing any front or side air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) components and before servicing, replacing, adjusting or striking components near the front or side air bag sensors, such as doors, instrument panel, console, door latches, strikers, seats and hood latches.

Please refer to the appropriate vehicle shop manual to determine location of the front air bag sensors.

The side air bag sensors are located at or near the base of the B-pillar.

To deplete the backup power supply energy, disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least one minute. Be sure to disconnect auxiliary batteries and power supplies (if equipped).

Disconnect the battery ground cable. Wait at least one minute before proceeding with the procedure to allow the backup power supply to deplete its energy. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01.
  1. Remove the supplemental restraint system (SRS) steering column clockspring. For additional information, refer to Section 501-20B.
  1. Remove the three bolts and remove the coil mounting bracket from the steering column.
  1. Release the clip retaining the shift lock actuator and slide the actuator down.
  1. Remove the park position switch from the cavity and remove the actuator assembly.
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?