EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician
Experience:  ASE, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel, Kia Professional Elite
34559540

My 2011 navigator rear air suspension was working perfectly

Customer Question

My 2011 navigator rear air suspension was working perfectly fine and I stopped to pick someone up and it kicked in like normal and then abruptly stopped and hasn't kicked back in and the rear mend is basically sitting on the tires and the ride feels like you are in a bounce house
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. The air suspension compressor is common to fail. But first what you should check are the height sensors. There is one on the left front and right front. And one for the rear. Sometimes the sensors pop off the ball stud and then it disables the air compressor. Check that first. If those are ok you will want to try and manually turn on the compressor to make sure it works.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the one located for the rear
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

I believe the right hand side. Attached to the control arm. I will see if I can look up a diagram for you.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

There is not one for the rear. I worked on an 06 navigator today and it had a rear. Your year does not. Just the two in the front.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could it still be that then or what would you suggest be the next step
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Still check the front 2 sensors.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

The next step would be to either have the air suspension module checked for codes, or apply power and ground to the air compressor to make sure it runs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will try those thank you
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

ok. you are welcome. let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so we checked the higher sensors and they seem fine but I know it sounds silly but we are having trouble locating the compressor itself or even a diagram for the 2011. Was going to take it to the dealership to check for codes but they can't get to it for several days and well we need our car ASAPplus the crazy fee they want to charge to even look
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We checked the air compressor it isn't showing that it is getting any kind of power what so ever
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

In the fuse box under the hood there is a compressor relay. Make sure the relay has power going to 2 of the terminals with the key on. The owners manual should show the location of the relay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went ahead and changed that relay out with a new one that was my first step due to being the easiest and cheapest option that did nothing but I will test it and see if that helps. The dealership service department says that think it is probably a ride height sensor is bad causing no power to go to the compressor and I will have to have them repair that due to the special tool required to calibrate it
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

That is possible. Usually a ride height sensor becomes disconnected. To test if it is actually not working you do need a scan tool that can monitor it to make sure it is reading. If you have power at the relay location in terminal 3, you can jump power from terminal 3 to 5 and see if the compressor will run.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will try those and see thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so no power at the relay either
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

All power should be checked with the key ON. Fuse 19 (60amp) in fuse box under hood, sends power to terminal 3 of the relay. Terminal 1 of the relay gets power from the Vehicle Dynamics Module. Fuse 53 (10amp) and fuse 48 (30amp) in the fuse box under the hood control the VDM. If you do not have power on those terminals of the relay, that will have to be figured out first.